Okie Dokie, I need help on this project. You see, I have my whole research essay to do and I'm doing it on the topic of, " Does being a hero necessarily make you a better person?". For those of you who have taken Gen. Lit. it's the whole big 18 paragraph thing composed of 3 separate essays. So I need some help brainstorming. I was wondering can you help me on:
1. What defines a hero? Is it the capes or the masks? Or is it the selfless choice to sacrifice comforts for the benefit of others. Of course you make this choice with a good moral understanding too. ( Hitler's morals were messed up I believe)
2. What makes a hero so different from a villain? Okay. anyone remember this quote? " You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." What makes a hero become a villain? Pride, to much Power, messed up morals, obsession?
3. How does being a good person make you a hero? I don't know about this one I might not use it.
4. Who was the Sir Percy, inside? well obviously he wasn't the dumb man he pretended to be, but he wasn't always the super, life-saving hero all the time either. What were his reasons to save people? In the book it said his intentions were to do it out of enjoyment, see that's the part I don't get.
5. Was there an obsession problem with Batman? Was he a slave to his Job? Did obsession take over his moral reasoning? If it did what did he obsess over? What were his motives? ( besides the fact that his parents died and he didn't want that to happen to anyone else) Christian can you help me on this one?
6. What is the cost of being a hero?
yup, I need help... THANKS!!!!! oh and I also found this quote : ,
" A hero is a individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwelming obstacles."
- Christoper Reeve ( I know this doesn't work for the whole definition thing cause well Hitler persevered in spite of overwelming obstacles too.)
=]
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Does being a hero make you a better person?
Posted by
Joycelyn Choo
at
10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Not sure if I can help out but I'll try? :3 Don't know how much sense I'll make... Brain kinda fuzzy at work.
1. I'll avoid dictionary definition here since you can look those up easily to elaborate on. I think a hero is someone who strives to do the better good for those around him/her, even if they have to sacrifice something. It doesn't have to be someone who is recognized for their efforts, but in general, usually what people WILL define as a hero is that they made a noteworthy accomplishment, which means they received attention for their good deed.
2. A hero versus a villain should be difference of having a set of moral standards of living and acting and when they become corrupted. A hero can easily turn into a villain if, per se, a strong ideal they hold becomes corrupted or excessive (as they say, everything in moderation). If they do not catch themselves to CORRECT that perversion of their ideal, then they will ultimately become a "villain" - however it is reversible if they correct their ideals and deeds...
3. Um, acting upon their upstanding morals! Yeah, I think you can combine this with #1.
4. Sir Percy doesn't ring a bell.
5. I've never delved into Batman enough to answer this one... but I think Batman is one of those 'dark' heroes who are very interesting characters because of his tendency to flip-flop from a hero to a villain and back.
6. To someone other than the hero, or the hero him/herself? To someone else, maybe a lot of things, but those all depend on what each individual values. To the hero him/herself, they might not think there is so much a 'cost' to it because they probably enjoy what their doing. :D
Sorry if I'm not very helpful. I'm better talking in person or over IM, not over static blogs. XD
Post a Comment