Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fourteen

Tommorow's my Birthday!
Fourteen, that's a funny number..... it's not 13 or 15 it's 14.....

You know wikipedia editors think of things that no one else thinks of.

"Number 14 is considered to be one of the unluckiest numbers in Chinese culture. Although 14 is usually said as "shi si," which sounds like "ten die", it can also be said as "yi si" or "yao si", literally "one four". Thus, 14 can also be said as "yao si," literally "one four," but it also means "want to die" (要死 pinyin yào sǐ). In Cantonese, 14 sounds like "sap sei", which sounds like "sat6 sei2" meaning "certainly die" (實死)."

Really, it's like making me want to hold on to my last hour/minute of being 13. The really funny thing is that 13 is unlucky in united states. I didn't hear of this whole "unlucky 14 thing and didn't really think about it until I came across this. On the other hand I did find this...


Fourteen
being a multiple of seven, partakes of its significance; and, being double that number, implies a double measure of spiritual perfection.

Wow.... year 14 of my life... I remember last year I was like " OH NO MY LAST DAY OF CHILDHOOD!" this year it's not so bad. We all have to grow up sometime. =] It seems that when your a kid, you want to grow up so fast that you start counting your age in fractions. Haven't you heard a kid go " I'm 4 1/2" or " I'm 5 1/2". I bet you've never heard someone say " I'm 25 1/2" =]

sigh. 14 ready or not here I come!

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Trust me, the silliness doesn't go away! =P

Rady said...

Ah don't mind the chinese numbering, the doubly spiritual effects make up for all of it!

I second Gabriel, the silliness never goes away... kekeke...