Monday, March 10, 2008

Paul Bunyan and the Evil Brownie Queen

This is my play for class. Happy reading
Written by Joycelyn Choo
Cast:
Mrs. Bell/Evil Brownie Queen: Victoria
Lori: Hallie
Tory: Alex
Billy/Paul Bunyan: Caleb
Lynn/Tosh: Joycelyn
Narrator/brownies: Maybe Alex’s sisters

(Setting, school classroom 4 chairs in a row 1 chair facing the 4 chairs about 5 yards away.) (BELL RING)

Mrs. Bell: Class I graded your reports on tall tales, you can pick them up on your way out. Lori and Tory, I need to see you two after class, and Lynn, I’m giving you detention again.
Lynn: What did I do?
Mrs. Bell: You were annoying…again. Oh, and Billy, please go throw away that banana before I give you detention, too.
(Lynn keeps mouth open)(Billy walks over to the trash can drops the banana peel on the floor and slips on his own banana peel)
(Teacher is passing out reports, Tory gasps when she receives her report.)
Billy: Ouch!
Lynn: Billy! Watch it!!

(Billy and Lynn exits stage)
Mrs. Bell: Girls I need to talk to you about your-
(Tory cuts teacher off)
Tory: Why did I get an F!?
Mrs. Bell: DON’T INTERUPT ME!!!(Wide eye stern look) (Calm look) One of you plagiarized and I don’t care who, so you both get detention everyday after school for 5 weeks. You can go now.
Tory: WHAT!!!
Lori: Tory, don’t complain, we’re already lucky we didn’t get suspended.
Mrs. Bell: You should listen to your sister. She’s right you two are very lucky!
(Teacher exits stage, Tory has a very stunned look on her face.)
Tory: This is all your fault, Lori. Why did you copy my report!
Lori: You said I could.
Tory: No, I said I would help you, not let you copy my report!
Lori: Well, you never got around to helping me so I thought I would just help myself.
Tory: Thanks to you, we both got a zero …and DETENTION!!!
(Lynn comes running up to the two, jumping up and down, trying to look over their shoulders)
Lynn: What did you get busted for? Huh huh huh? (gasp) Tory got a zero! NO WAY!!! What happened? Huh huh huh?
Tory: Go away, Lynn. (mad voice)
Lynn: What did I do?
Lori: Aw, don’t worry, Tory’s just mad cause she got a zero on her report.
Tory: Again this is all your fault, if you would have once in a while put down that book on magical creatures, maybe you wouldn’t have to copy my work! (Almost shouting)
(Tory stomps off stage mad)
Lynn: She looks REALLY mad!
Lori: she’ll get over it.
Narrator: 4 periods later we find Lori, Tory, and Lynn in detention.
(While narrator is speaking Lori, Tory, and Lynn grab chairs.)
Mrs. Bell: If anyone says one word during detention, I will give all of you detention…again. I’ve got my eyes on you. (Eye and finger to kids) (Immediately falls asleep, snore)
(Lori and Tory yawn and fall asleep)
(Lynn gets up and sneaks out of detention)
(Lori wakes up, and looks around surprised)(setting trees with bright light in the distance)
Lori: Tory, Tory wake up! (Tory wakes up)
Tory: (sleepy voice) huh? (Wide eye) Where are we, and where’s Lynn?!?! (Paul sleeping is being carried (pushed) on little pieces)
Lori: Hey, look that’s something you don’t see everyday. (Lori points to Paul) Isn’t that Billy?
Tory: No, Lori, that’s Paul Bunyan, but it does really look like Billy!
Lori: Who’s Paul Bunyan?
Tory: If you had done the homework assignment MAYBE you wouldn’t have to ask me that.
Lori: Sorry. (Sad look)
Tory: Paul Bunyan was a fictional “Tall Tale “character, he was really, really, really big and he had a HUGE appetite.
Lori: Hey, how do you know he’s Paul Bunyan?
Tory: He has a red and green checkered shirt on and only Paul Bunyan wears that.
Lori: Oh
Tory: But why is he being carried by…. (Squints) What are those?!
Lori: (Squints) Hey, those are brownies!
Tory: Stop making me hungry!
Lori: Not the eating kind, the magical kind. They’re mini elves. There must be like 4 billion of them.
Tory: But where are they going?
Lori: Man they’re moving FAST
Tory: Hey let’s follo-
Tosh: (cuts off Tory) Hey! Come back!!!(Bends over puts hands on knees and pants) (Tory and Lori rushes over)
Tory: What’s going on?!
Lori: LYNN!!!!!?????
Tosh: My name is Tosh; I’m Paul’s friend… (Stops to pant) those little things raided us and kidnapped Paul…
Tory: We need to go after them then (Paul is off stage by now)
Tosh: let’s go then…
Lori: Ok let’s go (everyone starts running) (Tory, Tosh, and Lori start running towards Paul) (who is off stage)
Tosh: Ok not much farther, I saw them going into that cave (points to a makeshift cave) (3 girls go up to the cave making themselves unnoticeable.) (setting green and gray background with red light bulb fire)
Evil Brownie Queen: (Sinister Laugh) (evil look) (squeaky voice) (actor on her knees) finally! Thank you my little minions! (Playing with hands)(Paul stands up)
Brownies: We live to worship you our queen (union voice)
Evil Brownie Queen: Now I can finally get my revenge on this ugly lumberjack!
Paul: (deeper voice) Hey! I’m not ugly! (Pulls out a mirror checks hair)
Evil Brownie Queen: Where did you even get that mirror?
Paul: (proudly smiling) I know I’m Hot.
Evil Brownie Queen: You little vain….
Paul: Hey, do I look little to you???(Evil Brownie Queen’s face gets angry and red)
Evil Brownie Queen: Minions (pointing to a empty vat) go fill the vat with hot lava… It’s time to get revenge.
Paul: On who?
Evil Brownie Queen: (slaps forehead) Oh you, you little.
Paul: (cuts of Queen) Again I am not little.
Evil Brownie Queen: (Rolls eyes, sighs) I noticed
Paul: And what did I do to you, I don’t even know you.
Evil Brownie Queen: In preschool, you ate my last brownie. (Starts crying) (In between sobs) you and your big stomach… (Sobs) I was saving that last brownie.
Paul: (Squints) Dee Dee?! No way!! Like Dee Dee from preschool???
Evil Brownie Queen: DON’T CALL ME THAT!!!
(Brownies, Paul, Tory, Lori, Tosh laugh)
Tory: She wants to kill him because he ate her brownie…..In PRESCHOOL!!! (loud voice) and was that Mrs. Bell?
Lori and Tosh: SHHHH!
Evil Queen: (stops crying) what was that?! Minions go find whoever’s out there and bring them back.
Brownies: Yes, my queen.
(Lori, Tosh, and Tory are taken into captive)
Evil Brownie Queen: And who might you 3 be?
Tory: You’re going to kill Paul for eating your brownie???? That is soooo immature. Why hold a grudge for…what 50 years?
Evil Brownie Queen: Shut up! I am NOT that old, and he ate the last brownie!!! THE LAST BROWNIE!!!
Tory: So no one should hold a grudge for 83 years! Even holding a grudge for a day isn’t good for you! You get all cranky and grouchy.
Lori: You don’t say (sarcastically roll eyes)
(Tory looks at Lori with a sorry face)
Evil Brownie Queen: (looking sorry) you’re right maybe I have been holding a little grudge.
Tosh: A LITTLE grudge???
Paul: Dudette, I don’t even remember eating that brownie, but I’m sorry if I ever did.
Evil Brownie Queen: Alright, I forgive you, but what am I going to do with this big pot of lava?
Tosh: The lumberjacks back at camp have been a little cold lately…. Maybe we could set it in the middle of the camp to warm everyone up.
Evil Brownie Queen: Hm.. that would be a useful way to use this boiling lava. Ok MINIONS!!!
Brownies: Yes queen Dee Dee?(giggle)
Evil Brownie Queen: DON’T CALL ME THAT. Take this pot of boiling lava to the lumberjack campsite; place it in the middle of the camp.
Brownies: Yes queen Dee Dee.(giggle)
Evil Brownie Queen: This is what happens when you say my really name, from now on it’s going to be a revolt, this is all you’re fault, my reputation is ruined, but I forgive you, I’ve learned my lesson.
Narrator: Lori, Tory, Tosh, The good brownie queen, and Paul all went back to the campsite. There waiting for them was the brownies and the joyful lumberjacks. They all sat around the vat of boiling lava and shared stories, but no one noticed that Lori and Tory had snuck away into the woods.
Tory: Hey, Lori….(soft voice) I’m sorry I got so mad at you this afternoon.
I really didn’t like the thought of a big fat red “F” on my straight “A” record, and I’m sorry I didn’t help you with your report.
Lori: I’m sorry I plagiarized. I should have done my own homework. Hey, how about this let’s go up to Principal Franklin and tell him the truth, that I plagiarized. I know that you worked hard on that report, and you should get full credit for it.Tory: Good idea, next time I’ll make sure I help you on your report if you have problems. Hopefully, you’ll be able to write your report by yourself.
(Lori smiles, Tory and Lori “full hug” stop midway then “side hug” (Alex and Victoria, if you don’t get this ask Hallie to explain))
Tory: Now we only have one problem, HOW DO WE GET BACK HOME!!!!????
Lori: That’s easy; all we have to do is go through this small door in this trap tree.
(Lori opens the door in the tree)
Tory: How did you know that?
Lori: and you said reading books about magical worlds was a waste of time.
(Girls go off stage)
Narrator: Tory and Lori made it safely back to the “real” world. After detention the girls went to the principle’s office.(Setting 2 chairs and 1 chair facing the 2 chairs)
(Lori opens the door to the principle’s office. Girls walk in.)
Lori: MRS.BELL?! You’re the principle?!
Tory: Maybe this wasn’t the greatest idea.
Mrs. Bell: Principle Franklin is sick I’m subbing. What do you need?
Lori: (looks uneasy) Mrs. Bell, I was the one who copied Tory essay. I don’t think Tory should be punished for something she didn’t do.
Mrs. Bell: Well it certainly wasn’t Tory who plagiarized.
Lori: So you knew!
Mrs. Bell: Of course. I was just waiting for you to tell the truth.
Tory: So I get an “A”?
Mrs. Bell: That “F” was never on your record.
Tory: Do I still get detention?
Mrs. Bell: No, I just did that to scare you. I’ve got a keep a mean reputation to keep you know. If I don’t, the children are just going to talk and talk and talk (doing the finger thing) and talk and talk and…
Lori: Mrs. Bell
Mrs. Bell: Oh sorry.
Lori: Do I still have detention?
Mrs. Bell: Don’t be silly, (Lori smiles really big) of course you do (Lori smile turns into a frown), Hey, be glad that I didn’t suspend you.
Tory: Thank you so so so so much Mrs. Bell! Come on Lori let’s go.
Lori: Coming (dragging her feet)
Mrs. Bell: Oh and girls, don’t tell anyone that I was nice. It’s going to get stirrup a crowd.
Lori: Oh we won’t alright…. We won’t (sinister look)
Tory: LORI!! (Tory pulls Lori off stage)

CURTAIN

0 comments: